In this week’s newsletter:
- Student Representative Council Feedback
- Upcoming Events
- CSSA BBQ
- Civilization V
- Careers Fair
- Annual General Meeting
- Comp2310 Study Event with tutors and Pizza!
- Monthly Munchies! August Edition
- Other News
- Alphatise Internship
- New opportunities for overseas study scholarships under the New Colombo Plan
- Regular Events
- Wednesday Night Board Games
- Our Sponsors
Student Representative Council Feedback
The Student Representative Committee will be meeting on the 21st August.
Do you have any feedback on your courses that you would like to be
discussed at this meeting? It can be positive or negative feedback and
related to any aspect of the course. Students can remain anonymous if
The SRC members are all listed on the following website, along with
their email addresses. They would love to hear from you.
CSSA is running a BBQ the 15th of August at midday!
Tell your friends and come enjoy some free food vegetarian options available.
Time: Friday, 15th August 2014, 12:00 - 13:00
Location: CSIT BBQ Area
Starting second semester but feeling that your degree lacks geo-political domination? Wish no longer: CSSA will be holding a Civilizations V night to satisfy your need for diplomatic intrigue, cut-throat peace deals and general ambitions world domination.
A copy of the game will be required for the evening but both newcomers and veterans are welcome to participate. Winners will receive prizes worthy of their valiant achievement, and food and drink will be provided to everyone who participates. If you don’t have a copy, there may be some gift copies or unused copies available from other members, strictly subject to availability. No expansions are required, though they may be used also if enough people have them available.
We’ll be holding the event on Friday 15th of August from 5:30pm until 2050AD.
Time: Friday, 15th August 2025, 17:30
Location: CSIT N101
It’s that time of year again! Save the date.
Come along if you’re looking for an internship or a graduate opportunity, or simply wondering what career options are possible.
Join us at Melville Hall to talk to companies interested in hiring ANU students.
Check back later for a list of attending companies.
See you there, and bring a resume!
Time: Wednesday, 20th August 2014, 15:00 - 17:00
Location: Melville Hall
Nominations for the 2014-15 CSSA Committee and Common Room Subcommittee are now open!
We’re looking for enthusiastic volunteers to run the club for the next year. It’s not a job for everyone - we need people with plenty of initiative and ability to manage one of the ANU’s most active societies. However, you don’t need experience, and there’ll be plenty of support around to help you out.
There are openings for a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, 5 General Representatives, a Postgraduate Representative and an International Representative.
This year, we will also be electing 5 Common Room Officers, who will assist the Committee in maintaining the N102 Common Room. If you’d like to help run our common room without taking on the full responsibilities of a committee member, now’s your chance!
The election will be conducted at the AGM on 21 August (more details below) - you will have the chance to speak at the meeting and convince everyone that you’re the best person for the job!
If you wish to nominate, please complete the Nomination Form. More information about the process can be found in the Constitution, and more information about the different committee roles can be found in the Committee By-Laws.
Nominations close at 23:59 Tuesday 19 August!
If you have any enquiries, please contact the Returning Officer, Chanakya Goli, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time: Thursday, 21st August 2014, Time 18:00
Location: CSIT N101
Comp2310 Study Event with tutors and Pizza!
Need help with the first assignment in Comp2310?
Come along to the study event, there will be tutors from the course to help go through your questions and help teach you what you need to know for the assignment.
Time: Wednesday, 27th August 2014, 18:00 - 0:00
Location: Hancock West
Hey postgrads and friends! Catch up with your peers over free finger food, cakes and drinks in a relaxed atmosphere. Vegetarian options available.
Please RSVP for catering purposes to email@example.com or via this facebook event.
Time: Friday, 29th August 2014, 16:00
Location: Ian Ross Staff Room
Alphatise is an innovative start-up tech company launching a first-of-its kind social commerce platform that will allow shoppers to have a say in what they pay and drive deals on their favourite brands and products.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for one lucky graduate to be a part of one of Australia’s fastest growing start-ups.
The successful applicant will receive a 100k package, comprised of:
- 50k Salary
- 50k stock option
- Company car
The internship will be a 12-month standard NSW employment contract, commencing in February 2015 at the Alphatise headquarters in Sydney. Applications for the internship will open on August 11th 2014 and close October 11th 2014.
The intern will be given the option to work in either the marketing department or the development department. If you have experience in software engineering you will be able to put your skills to use in the development team, where you will work alongside world-class technicians in developing the Alphatise application. Placement in the marketing department will provide you with invaluable experience in marketing, sales, social media, and branding, and is recommended to all students outside of an IT/software engineering background.
This internship is open to all Australian and valid international students across all undergraduate and post-graduate degrees, so don’t miss your chance to be the World’s Best Intern!
Apply now to be in the running for this amazing opportunity. See below details on how to register.
- Go to www.alphatise.com/internship and watch the sample video
- Download the Alphatise app or register at www.alphatise.com
- Create your personal profile and upload your entry video (see website for more details on video submission requirements)
- Share your profile with your family and friends. The more votes you receive, the better your chance of winning!
New opportunities for overseas study scholarships under the New Colombo Plan
Please note the following opportunities for scholarships to study overseas: http://students.anu.edu.au/scholarships/ug/cur/dom/new-colombo-plan.php
- The NCP will award 60 prestigious scholarships for undergraduate study lasting between one semester and one year.
- The scholarships are for Australian students going to one of 38 countries in the Indo-Pacific region. The full list of eligible destinations can be found here.
- The scholarship will cover your tuition fees (where relevant), travel to and from your destination, insurance, and a living stipend, up to $67,000.
- To be eligible, you must be an Australian citizen enrolled in at least the second year of your undergraduate degree, and be aged between 18 and 28 as of January 1, 2015.
- You must have achieved a minimum ANU GPA of 5.0 at the time of application.
- You do not need to have any relevant language skills – just a thirst to learn and a good idea of what you would like to do. The NCP scholarship will provide additional benefits to help you build your language skills if you wish to develop them.
- Your application must include a plan to secure an internship or mentorship in your destination country. You do not need to have arranged your internship before you depart, but you will need to complete this as part of the scholarship conditions.
- The scholarships are for study programs commencing between 1 January, 2015 and 31 December, 2015.
You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
The deadline for applications is 17th August 2014 (11.59pm AEST)
ANU students, Nick Horton, Rebecca Wardell and Emma Roberts, were recently awarded scholarships to study in Japan, Singapore and Indonesia under the Australian government’s New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship Program?
Read the story here: http://news.anu.edu.au/2014/06/26/three-anu-students-win-scholarships-in...
Take a Ticket to Ride and Come Settle in our Dominion at CSSA board games night! CSSA board games night is Articulate. Other board game nights are Absolute Balderdash.
Time: Wednesdays, 19:00 - Late
Location: CSIT N101
Got something to say?
The CSSA Times is looking for writers! If you’d like to contribute an article, let us know at email@example.com
Know something we don’t?
If you’ve got an event or job posting relevant to CSSA members, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Got an idea?
The CSSA is always interested in helping our fantastic members run events. We can help you run your dream event or just help fund and promote it. If you have an idea you’d like us to have a look at, fill in this form.